Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Don't Base Your Health Decisions On Scientific Research

I've known for a long time that so-called scientific research is flawed and doesn't necessarily tell you the truth, even double blind and peer reviewed studies.

What is my basis for this bold, almost unbelievable claim?

When I look at who funds the studies and the results, in many cases it's obvious to me that the study was biased or not properly designed. You see, I have a master's degree in Statistics and worked as a research statistician for eight years in the area of sample design before I decided to become a chiropractor.

In addition, there was a book that was required reading in my statistics program, and it is still available on amazon.com and many of the booksellers online, "How To Lie With Statistics." Now the intention of this book was not to teach us how to be deceptive in our research, but to point out what can go wrong when researchers, knowingly or unknowingly, manipulate or bias the data.

Now, you don't have to take my word for it. This is just my observation and I can't prove it.

However...

Dr. John Ioannidi has. A medical researcher with outstanding expertise and credentials, Dr. Ioannidi has proven through "a detailed mathematical proof that (assuming modest levels of researcher bias, typically imperfect research techniques, and the tendency to focus on exciting rather than plausible theories) researchers will come up with wrong findings most of the time."

Read the article.

So, a word to the wise ... be careful if you make your health and nutrition decisions based upon so-called "scientific" studies.

I have always based my recommendations upon clinical results with a proven track record. While the medical establishment has poo-poo'd this method, Dr. Ioannidi's results don't support their faith in so-called "scientific studies."